Restaurants & Bakeries Serving GFCF Fare
Compiling this list is like hitting a fast moving target. Not only do new ones come up but trusted ones change their recipes. This is the hardest part about the diet so be sure to ask restaurant managers about your child’s specific dietary issues and get confirmation.
There is NO GUARANTEE the restaurants and items listed below will be GFCF forever! So please confirm each time!
All of the Above Bakery and Cafe (some products may have soy)
27423 Ynez Road
Temecula, CA 92591
Azna's Gluten-free Bakery
Cameron Park, (530) 677-5810
San Francisco, (415) 826.7187
Gluten Free Creations
Phoenix, AZ, (602) 522-0659
Irvine, (949) 235-6163
Encinitas, (760) 479-0500
The Sensitive Baker
Culver City, (310) 815-1800
17431 Brookhurst St
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
Open: Tues-Fri 10am-6pm and Sat 10am-5pm
Santa Barbara, (866) 203-1814
Let it be known – I am not a big fan at all of fast food companies. They are generally filled with empty calories, employees with lots on their minds, and questionable food sources. Please, even though these are GFCF restaurants, use them sparingly, on days when you need a break or as an ultimate positive reinforcer–BUT NOT ALL THE TIME! Okay, I feel better now that that is out there!
Important note: Please remember to always talk to the MANAGER of all fast food restaurants to make sure that individual fryers are used for cooking their french fries. Let them know how important this issue is to you and your child!
- Arby’s plain roast beef – no sauce/no bun
- Burger patties (no bun)
- French Fries (Note: each individual Burger King has their own process of deep frying. It is best to make sure a separate fryer is used for cooking french fries.)
- Waffle Potato Fries (Note: Confirm Ingredients they may vary in some restaurants; also verify with restaurant manager that individual deep fryer is used.)
El Pollo Loco (good healthy choice!)
- Whole Chicken on the bone
- Tomato-Based Salsas
- Pinto Beans
- Protein Burger (no bun, no sauces, no cheese) with just meat, tomatoes and lettuce. WATCH for cross contamination here! Buns and cheese can occupy the same space as your plain hamburger. Ask the manager for assistance.
- French fries
The following items must be verified by each individual McDonald's Restaurants:
- Apple Juice
- Peppered Bacon / Bacon Bits
- Beef Patties: regular and Quarter-Pounder (NO BUN NO CHEESE
See acceptable condiments below)
- French Fries – as of January 2009 – ARE NO LONGER GFCF!
- Hash Browns (verify separate fryers are used)
- Scrambled eggs ( no biscuit and no cheese)
- Salad (no croutons)
- Condiments and such:
- Hot Cake Syrup
- Orange Juice
- Picante Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Fruit cup
- Taco chips
- Taco Supremo Salad (NO CHEESE)
- Spring Mix Salad (WATCH DRESSING! NO PECANS!)
Most larger chain restaurants know that some individuals have celiac disease. Ask them for a celiacs menu, if available, or for similar offerings from their typical menu. Just make sure your child’s meals are CASEIN-FREE in addition to being gluten-free as well!
Baja Fresh several dishes are GFCF, although there is no GFCF menu! Marinated grilled chicken and steak are GFCF. Just say NO to cheese and guacamole (contains milk!). Cross-contamination warning: corn tortillas and chips are fried in same fryer as breaded fish. Visit the Baja Fresh website for nutritional information
- Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Burger patties
- Rotisserie Chicken
- French Fries
- Salads - w/o croutons
- Oil and Vinegar Dressing
- Strawberry Lemonade
Joe's Crab Shack in Newport Beach, California (check with other locations nationwide) serves French fries and hamburger patties to meet celiac and GFCF requirements. No detailed nutritional information is provided on their website so you must check with the manager at each individual location about ingredients and recipes!
Newport & Naples Ribs Companies (in Costa Mesa, Ladera Ranch, and Long Beach, California only). There is a special GFCF menu with lots of tasty options available for all locations. View their GFCF menu online.
- Kid's Menu (Topped off with a dessert of organic Rice Cream.)
- Baby Back Ribs
- BBQ Chicken
- Hamburger served on GF/CF bun
- Brisket Sandwich served on GF/CF bun
- Adult Menu
- Baby Back Ribs
- BBQ Chicken
- BBQ Boneless Breast
- BBQ Shrimp Kabob
PF Changs Gluten-Free Menu! You have to ask for this menu! OR they can make ANY MENU ITEM GFCF! Visit the restaurant’s website for more information (click “Gluten-Free Menu” link). The menu is self-titled “Gluten-Free Menu”, so be very sure to also make sure meals are CASEIN-FREE in addition.
Pick up Stix a lot of the menu items without sauce or seasonings. No detailed nutritional information is provided on their website so you must check with the manager at each individual location about ingredients and recipes.
Pizza Fusion has gluten-free crusts. Be sure to order it without cheese!
Skosh Monahans in Costa Mesa, California has a variety of delicious GFCF items for parents and kiddos! We love this place and are there at least once a week! The adult food is awesome! Did I mention they only serve beer on tap? That is only for the adults though! And certainly not GF! View their special GFCF kids menu on Skosh Monahan’s website.
Disneyland wins the award as the coolest most GFCF happiest place on the earth! Here is why! In fact, this is true for all Disney properties including Disney theme parks, resorts, hotels, cruise lines, etc. For more information and confirmation about Disneyland in Anaheim, California, contact Chief Chef Chris Justesen, (714) 781-4650 or Disney Dining at (714) 781-DINE (3463).
When you enter a restaurant in Disneyland or any other Disney property, always ask for the Manager. Not a waiter or waitress.
Disneyland, Anaheim, California
- Goofy’s Kitchen Character Breakfast: The chef will make gfcf pancakes and they have Van's brand waffles.
- Plaza Inn: Same as Goofy’s Kitchen above
- Tomorrowland's Red Rocket Pizza Port
- Rice noodles with marinara sauce
- GFCF pizza crusts with marinara sauce; no cheese; ask about toppings
- Club Buzz: French Fries, Chicken Breast, Hamburger
- Fantasy Land - Village house
- Fruit plate
- Hotdog - no bun
- French fries
- Frontier Land - Rancho de Zolcolo: corn tortilla, rice and beans, chicken
- Adventure Land - Bangle Barbecue: chicken and beef skewers (no sauce, no marinade)
- Blue Bayou will cook as you please!!
- All fruit carts are okay.
Always ask a bus person for the manager when ordering anything. It will insure GFCF.
- Ariel's Grotto will cook as you please!!
Contact Chef Jeremiah at (714) 817-4660
From Paul Geasland, Executive Chef, Food and Beverage of Legoland, Carlsbad, California:
“Emailing or calling ahead is recommended, especially if one is concerned about cross contamination (from gloves, countertops or airborne). I would recommend contacting me 48 hours ahead. I would prefer email if possible, as it gives me time to research. I like to know the ages, number of people, and food preferences. I can then make recommendations and dispatch the meal accordingly.
I strongly recommend to clearly specify to the food station attendant what your concerns are, especially if you do not contact me ahead of time. Some of our gluten free staple items that are always offered are:
- Hamburgers (without the bun)
- Hot Dogs (Hebrew National–without the bun)
- French Fries (in our quick service outlets only)
- Granny’s Apple Fries (the sauce contains a fraction of an ounce of imitation vanilla extract, which does contain wheat gluten, which is acceptable to some).
- Sorbets from Fool Scoops
- Sports Café: Chicken Breast (request non-marinated), Salmon, Cod, Hamburger, Turkey and a variety of salads
- Knight’s Table: Chicken without sauce (request non-marinated chicken), Baked Potato, Corn on the Cob, Salad
- Garden Restaurant: Tuna Salad, Turkey, Roast Beef, Greek Salad
- Funtown Market: Chicken Stir Fry without sauce, Carne Asada Plate without Tortillas
The list goes on and we can certainly modify many other items not listed above. I do reemphasize to email or call me in advance, as product substitutions can occur.”
Executive Chef, Food and Beverage
There is NO GUARANTEE the restaurants and items listed will be GFCF forever! So please confirm each time!
NOTE: Got any new restaurants to share? Or items that have fallen off the GFCF list? Please contact us.
A Great Resource
The website, www.glutenfreerestaurants.org, has a resource list and printable GFCF cards to give to waiters/chefs about your child’s diet needs.