Valentine’s Day Ideas
Valentine's Day can be tough on the GFCF diet if you don't know where to go for the good stuff. Below are some ideas, tips and resources to make your Valentine's Day special and yummy! As always, please check the ingredients to ensure that items listed are in fact gluten and casein free.
GFCF Candy That You Can Pick Up Just About Anywhere
- Bottle Caps
- Pixy Stix
See our GFCF Shopping List for More Items.
Chocolate Covered Fondants - Orange Mint chocolate dipped similar to Junior Mints
- Chocolate Chips
- Semi-Sweet Chips dairy free
- Expresso Roast dairy free
- Wild Rice Crisp
- Toasted Almonds
- Red Raspberry Crush
- Sundried Jungle Banana
- Mint Candy Crunch
- Hazelnut Expresso Crunch
- Creams Chocolate Fudge, Coconut Patty, Crème de Menthe, Marshmallow
- Peanut Butter Cups
- Fudge - Chocolate, Chocolate Walnut, Peanut Butter, Raspberry
- Dipped Chocolate Cordials
- Truffles - Black Forest, Chocolate, Hazelnut, Mocha, Orange, Rum, Raspberry
- Mint Lentils (similar to M&M's - mint flavored)
- Chocolate Lentils (similar to M&M's)
- Rainbow Raisins (chocolate covered raisins in a fruity candy shell)
- Chocolate non-pareils (large "snowcaps")
- Assorted Chocolate Pops for Kids
- Chocolate Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Beans (like M&M's)
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Decoratif Sprinkles
- Homemade Candy... Fresh Natural Ingredients. Specify gluten & Casein free when ordering.
Soy Free & GFCF Candy
Soy Free Sales (GFCF Chocolates)
- Dark French Chocolate
- Dark, Semisweet Chocolate Drops
- Coffee Chocolate Chips
- Economy Semisweet Chocolate Chips
Candy Making Supplies
Candyland Crafts -molds, sucker sticks, wrappers and boxes
Kitchen Krafts - molds, candymaking ingredients, boxes
Get Suckered - stainless steel molds for candy
*** Heart cupcake molds are great but if you don't have them it's as simple as putting a marble between the muffin tin and muffin liner
EVERYONE needs a chocolate cake recipe. Your friends will NEVER KNOW it is GFCF!
Mix these ingredients in a bowl, then add:
Stir until mixed, grease and flour an 8 x8 inch pan, pour batter into pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Can be doubled to make a sheet cake or two round cake pans or 24 cupcakes. For cupcakes bake for 20 -25 minutes
Basic White or Yellow Cake
*** Use a natural red food dye to make this recipe into Red Velvet Cake
6 T. CF margarine
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs or 3 egg whites
1 cup rice flour or GF flour mix ( I use the mix because it tastes better and is not so gritty)
6 T potato starch flour
2 T tapioca flour
1 t guar gum
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t. salt
3/4 cup CF milk substitute with 2 t. apple cider vinegar or 2 t lemon juice
1 t. GFCF vanilla extract
(If you use Vanilla Almond Breeze milk drink you will not need the vanilla)
Mix together margarine, eggs and sugar until blended. In a separate bowl combine flours, guar gum, baking powder, soda and salt. In a separate measuring cup prepare milk and mix with vanilla extract. On low speed add dry mix to egg mixture alternating with milk. Mix just until combined. Spoon batter into pans. Bake at 350 for around 30 minutes.
1 1/4 GFCF powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
Mix together. Add strawberries, cocoa, or anything else that you'd like!
Or buy a cake mix and use ideas from the various cake mix websites for ideas to enhance them.
School Party Tips
If at all possible bring GFCF treats for the entire class.
If your child brings home treats that he/she cannot have, offer to trade them out for acceptable treats, small toys or even money!
Remind the teacher beforehand of your child's dietary needs and offer a list of acceptable easy to find store bought treats for the entire class.