Amy's Onion Rings – GFCFSF
November 01, 2011
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk sub (we used rice)
- 1 cup all-purpose GFCFSF flour (we used Bob's)
- 2 teaspoons non aluminium baking powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt or onion salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional -does not make hot/spicy)
- 1 quart oil for frying- (we used peanut but you can use safflower for frying as well)
- 4 large onions, peeled and sliced into rings
Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, cayenne, and garlic salt in a bowl to make a smooth batter.
Then divide the batter into two bowls (reasoning is that the batter gets clumpy and you will want to switch to the other bowl about 2 onions in)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or deep fryer. The oil needs to be fairly hot.
Dip the onion rings evenly into the batter, then fry in the oil for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion rings are golden brown. With a slotted spoon, remove the onion rings to paper towels to drain. Serve hot for best taste!
*** If you choose not to use cayenne, use something else, like Italian seasoning, or maybe even a "mix" of seasoning that you have made. They taste better seasoned, but if your kiddo likes plain, then omit the cayenne.