Buttery Creamed Corn
Buttery Creamed Corn - GFCFSF
This is so good, that you won't want to share.
Makes 4 servings
- 6 ears fresh corn (or 3 cups frozen corn kernels … if you must)
- 3 tablespoons GFCFSF margarine or coconut oil
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk (just under 2 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cayenne to taste (optional)
- Sugar, if necessary
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch (only if necessary)
Shuck the corn and cut the kernals from it. Put margarine in large skillet or broad saucepan over medium heat. When it melts and begins to foam, add the corn and cook, stirring, for a minute or two. Add 1 1/2 cups of the coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer; add good pinch of salt, some pepper, and a pinch of cayenne, if you like. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the corn is tender.
Taste and add a little sugar if you like. Continue to cook until the mixture is thick, another few minutes, adding a little more coconut milk if necessary. If you’d like it thicker, combine the arrowroot/cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water and stir it into the corn the mixture will thicken almost immediately. Taste and adjust seasoning and serve.