Lynne’s Cherry Clafouti
Lynne's Cherry Clafouti - GFCFSF
- 1 pound fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted, or frozen pitted cherries, thawed, drained
- 1 1/4 cup CF milk substitute (I used half coconut milk, half MimicCreme or Cashew Cream)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup GF flour (I used Bette Hagman's original mix http://tacanow.org/family-resources/gfcfsf-ingredients-and-substitutions/)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon GF vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Powdered sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 10" springform or cake pan (or eight 2/3 or 3/4-cup ramekins or custard cups). Arrange cherries in a single layer in pan.
Place milk sub in a small saucepan; bring just to a simmer over medium heat. Set aside. Combine eggs, flour, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl; whisk to blend. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture; whisk until custard is smooth. Pour custard evenly over cherries in pan.
If necessary, gently shake pan to allow custard to settle.
Bake clafouti until custard is set and top is golden brown, about 30 minutes for ramekins and 45-55 minutes for cake pan. Let cool 3 minutes, then run a knife around pan sides to loosen clafouti (if using a cake pan). Optional: Dust top with powdered sugar. Cut into wedges and serve.
This would be equally great with blueberries, blackberries or raspberries instead of cherries!