Chicken Zucchini Boats – GFCFSF
October 08, 2016
Chicken Zucchini Boats - GFCFSF
Recipes from the GFCFSF Autism Live Cooking Show – WHATS LEFT?
2 cups cooked and shredded organic chicken (from about 1 lb)
4 medium organic zucchini (2 1/2 lbs), sliced in half length wise
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
1 (15 oz) organic tomato sauce
1 Tbsp chili powder
2/3 cup water
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot
1 cup Daiya cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
Optional for serving: diced Roma tomatoes
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Slice zucchini length wise in half, scoop center of zucchini into a bowl leaving approximately ¼ inch rim. Brush tops and bottoms with olive oil and place in baking dish. Bake zucchini in preheated oven until tender for about 20-30 minutes (until slightly brown on edges and soft.)
3) Heat remaining oil in large sauce pan over medium to high heat. Once hot, add in onion and saute until soft. Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, add tomato sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. Whisk in water, arrowroot or corn starch until well blended. Bring mixture to light boil stirring constantly for approximately 1 minute until sauce thickens.
4) Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes and stir occasionally. Stir in cooked chicken.
5) Remove zucchini from oven and spoon in chicken mixture into zucchini boats. Sprinkle with Daiya cheese on top.
6) Return and bake 5-10 minutes until Daiya cheese is melted. Serve with optional diced tomatoes.
Yield: 8 Zucchini boats (feeds 4-6 people) – freezes wonderfully