Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Mushrooms and Garlic – GFCFSF
January 22, 2013
Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Mushrooms and Garlic - GFCFSF
Jerusalem Artichokes are also known as Sunchokes. They are a tuber, not a vegetable so serve them as a starch/carbohydrate.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme (1/2 teaspoon dry thyme)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Fill a bowl with cold water and squeeze 1/2 lemon into it. Place lemon peel into bowl. Peel the Jerusalem Artichokes, cut in equal slices, and put them in the lemon water (to prevent discoloration).
2. Heat the oil in a pan over medium low heat and add the shallots, cook until soft.
3. Add the artichokes, fry briefly, and add the white wine and broth.
4. Lower heat and cover. Allow to simmer on low heat until artichoke is soft and cooked.
5. Purée the soup in a processor or using a hand blender.
6. Add the MimicCreme and stir well. Keep warm on low heat.
7. Heat the olive oil in a skillet, add mushrooms and stir ONCE. Let cook (without stirring) until bottoms are golden brown. Flip mushrooms over and add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes, then stir. Cook until done.
8. Pour soup into bowls and top with the mushrooms.