- 2 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- If you want it savory, add 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, dill, scallions or basil, chopped
- If you want it sweet, add 2 tablespoons each raisins and toasted almonds
Cook quinoa in a medium pot of boiling salted broth (1 tablespoon salt for 2 quarts water), uncovered, until almost tender, about 15 minutes. Drain in sieve, then set sieve over same pot above 1 inch of simmering water (water should not touch bottom of sieve). Cover quinoa with a folded kitchen towel, then cover sieve with a lid (don't worry if lid doesn't fit tightly) and steam over simmering water until tender, fluffy, and dry, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and remove lid. Let stand, still covered with towel, 5 minutes.
Transfer quinoa to a bowl and stir in oil, zest, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.