Lisa’s Meat Puffs (or Meatloaf)
This is a modified version of the Special Diets for Special Kids recipe. It is a great recipe for kids! (Warning! Parents rarely like eating this recipe! Remember, it is for the kids!) This recipe has helped even the fussiest eaters eat protein and veggies! *Hint: start with 1/4 cup vegetables then increase it little by little up to at least 1 cup over a 1-month period.
- 14 oz. Meat (Ground meat like hamburger meat. Choices include: beef, buffalo/bison, pork, veal, turkey, chicken)
- 1/2 cup GF Breading (this is where you get creative!!) Here are some options: Quinoa Flakes and Quinoa flour one day, GF Rice “Krispies” and Rice Flour another Potato flour and Potato buds on another day
- 2 eggs or egg replacement
- 1/3 cup water or CF milk substitute
- 2 teaspoons GFCF baking powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal/powder (OPTIONAL)
- 1/4 cup - 1 cup veggie (carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes)
- Cook the meat (I boil mine) for 15 minutes. Use a food processor and make sure meat is a puree - with not too much water in the blending process
- Make sure breading is blended to a powder or without large pieces (use a food processor or coffee grinder)
- Make sure the vegetable is shredded to a fine, disguisable vegetable! I use a cheese grater (that has not been used for cheese!). A food processor will do the trick too!
- Put all ingredients into bowl - mix well.
- Make meat puffs into little “sushi” like shapes for your child’s small hands! (Easy for cooking and defrosting!) Or you can make in the shape of meatloaf in a larger pan.
- Heat oven 375 degrees - cook until slightly brown on top – 25-30 minutes (until top is golden brown)
NOTE: If you do a meat loaf – add 15-20 minutes to cooking time. THIS RECIPE FREEZES WELL!!