Lisa’s Spanish Rice
A great side dish for crabby cakes!
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- organic safflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 – 32 oz organic vegetable stock
- 2 large pinches of finely chopped saffron
- 1 heaped teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups paella rice (this can be hard to find and often NOT organic so choose a medium or long grain rice but not a risotto or sushi rice as they'll be too sticky)
- small bunch flat leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped, stalks chopped
- 2 handfuls fresh organic peas
- Lemon for garnish
In a stock pot, add the chopped onion and garlic and cook until soft (or go carmelized – whatever you prefer.) Add saffron, paprika, rice and stock and leave to cook on a medium heat, stirring from time to time. Slowly cook the rice on a low heat.
After 20 minutes the rice should be nearly cooked. Add peas and parsley – still well. Place a lid on the pan and cook for 10 minutes more. Sprinkled with left over chopped parsley and a wedge of lemon.