Monte Cristo Sandwich
- 3 slices white GFCFSF bread (I used Udi's GF http://udisglutenfree.com)
- GFCFSF Mayonnaise, as needed
- 1/4 cup GFCFSF Cheese (I used Daiya Shredded Mozarella Cheese)
- 2 slices turkey
- 2 slices ham
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup GFCFSF milk substitute
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon GFCFSF butter (I used Earth's Balance Soy Free)
- Orange wedges, for garnish
- Serving suggestion: Blackberry jam and powdered sugar
On a work surface, lay out 2 slices of bread and spread with mayonnaise. Top each slice with the 1/2 of the cheese, 1 slice of turkey, and 1 slice of ham each. Put the third slice of bread on top of one stack, and flip the remaining stack on top, cheese-side down, to make a triple-decker sandwich.
Wrap the sandwich tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours. (Wrapping the sandwich in plastic wrap, compacts it, and prevents the egg batter from seeping in.)
Combine the eggs and CF milk in a bowl. Heat the oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Unwrap the sandwich and dip it in the egg batter, to coat evenly. Gently place it in the skillet, and fry, turning once, until golden brown and hot, about 5 minutes total.
Cut the Monte Cristo in 1/2, roll in powdered sugar, transfer it to a plate, and garnish with the orange. Put some jam in a small bowl and use for dipping. Serve immediately.