Roasted Tomato Salsa
- 20 roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 poblano pepper (remove the seeds and ribs, if you’re concerned about heat)
- 1/2 bell pepper (color of your choice),
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper (remove the seeds and ribs, if you’re concerned about heat)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 bunch roughly chopped cilantro (1/2 cup chopped)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped red onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice
Lightly coat bell and poblano peppers with oil, set aside to be grilled. Wash all tomatoes and slice in half lengthwise. Make a small foil "boat" to hold the garlic on the grill. Grill peppers until skin is blackend, remove to glass dish, cover so the peppers continue to steam cook. After they cool 15 minutes or until you are ready for them, remove the skins, core and as much of the seeds as you want (I always take out the seeds from these large peppers, but not the small ones, but it's a personal preference). Roast garlic and jalapeno/serrano for 2-3 minutes but watch so they do not burn. Grill tomatoes on skin side only. Grill for 6-8 minutes or until skins are lightly blackened or just nicely browned, remove to a metal or glass pan.
Since processing hot food can be explosive in food processors, let everything cool down for a few minutes. Place half the ingredients in the food processor and whirl until the consistency that YOU like. Adjust seasoning to your taste.
Note: I also canned this recipe. The only adjustment needed is to add 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice in the top of the jar before putting the lid on.