Spanish Chicken Stew
- 4 cups chicken broth (I use ***Savory Choice -link below)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon annatto OR 1/4 teaspoon tumeric OR saffron
- 2 lbs bone in chicken or 1 lb boneless chicken, sprinkled with salt
- 1/2 cup dry rice
Combine all but rice in slow cooker/crock pot. Cook for 4-5 hours on low. Stir in rice and cook on high 1-2 hours or until rice is done.
Note: this is not a sweet dish. My teenagers liked it but I'm not sure if little kids would enjoy the semi-bitter flavor of capers and olives.
Top with avocado, cilantro and fried corn tortilla strips if desired.
***Savory Choice Bouillon http://www.amazon.com/Savory-Choice-Chicken-Concentrate-5-1-Ounce/dp/B001E5E2AE/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1302817044&sr=8-12 (comes in chicken, low-sodium chicken, beef, turkey, vegetable and demi glace.