Strawberry Ice Cream
This is the BEST strawberry ice cream! No one will even know it's not dairy!
- 1 can coconut milk, full-fat
- 2 eggs or 4 egg yolks (yolks alone will give even more richness)
- Seeds from 1/2 fresh vanilla bean or 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey or agave
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 3-4 teaspoons sugar
- Boil some water in a pot and reduce to a simmer.
- Place a heat proof bowl over it in a double boiler fashion and pour the coconut milk in it. Put vanilla seeds or vanilla extract with the coconut milk and heat until hot, but make sure it doesn’t come to a boil. If using flavorings such as mint or dark chocolate, you can add them now. You can also add chocolate at the end of the process to keep the pieces whole.
- Whisk the eggs of yolks in a separate bowl. Add one ladleful of the now hot coconut milk to the eggs while whisking quite vigorously. What you’re doing is tempering the eggs and slowly bringing the temperature up without cooking the eggs and risking that they scramble. Add two or three other ladlefuls of the coconut milk mixture and incorporate them to the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Take the tempered eggs and whisk in the bowl where the rest of the coconut milk is on the double boiler.
- Whisk for a couple of minutes non-stop to form a thick custard. Make sure it doesn’t get too hot and the simmering water doesn’t touch the bowl. Add honey/agave and stir.
- Once the custard is ready, remove from the heat source and let it cool on the counter or the refrigerator.
- You can add any other flavoring you want to use once the custard is cold enough to put a finger in it and feel comfortable.
- Rinse and chop strawberries into small pieces. Mix with sugar and let sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours. Use a fork to smoosh them a little, but still chunky. Refrigerate.
- Let it cool even more in the refrigerator before freezing it. Add macerated berries now.
- Put in your ice cream maker and follow its instructions or put in a baking dish in the freezer and stir vigorously every 30 minutes for about 2 to 3 hours until it’s set.
- Take it out of the freezer for about 10 minutes before enjoying so it softens a bit.