June 5, 2023
June 5, 2023
Thanks to our fundraising efforts, we are happy to announce TACA families have the opportunity to apply for a scholarship for treatment with a functional medicine doctor.
The TACA Family Scholarship Fund was developed to help families who want to pursue medical treatment for their children with autism but need additional funding to initiate a treatment plan. We understand how difficult it is to stretch the family budget and the family costs associated with an autism diagnosis.
Our 2023 TACA National Medical Scholarship will provide financial assistance to eligible families. The scholarship awards up to a maximum of $1,500 to aid in the out-of-pocket expenses for a medical professional that specializes in the treatment of autism and associated medical comorbidities. This includes medical doctors with Medical Academy of Pediatric Special Needs (MAPS), Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM), and Lyme Literate Medical Doctors (LLMD) certification as well as naturopathic doctors.
The deadline to turn in a completed application is June 5, 2023. Applicants will be notified of the outcome on or before July 31, 2023.
How it works
Select the physician you would like to work with before you apply. (You must provide the contact information for the doctor you select in your application form)
- Confirm the doctor is taking new patients (unless you are applying for the scholarship to continue treatment with your current doctor.)
- If you want to do virtual appointments, you must determine with the doctor if telehealth is an option for your family.
- If you are not sure of your choice of doctor PLEASE DO NOT APPLY. Please connect with a TACA Parent Mentor and/or your local TACA Chapter, or TACA’s online community in Hope and Help to research options and determine what doctor matches your child’s needs best.
If the scholarship is awarded:
- ONE check will be sent to the doctor to use for treatment. Any lab work, supplements, new patient charges for registration, membership or concierge fee, travel or accommodation costs are NOT covered by the scholarship. In certain cases, some doctor’s offices can bill for supplements and/or lab work through their office. If that is the case, then the funds can be used towards these costs. Separate checks to labs or supplement providers is NOT possible.
- The scholarship can NOT go towards an appointment or service that happened prior to the scholarship award. Scholarship funds are only for appointments that occur AFTER the scholarship is awarded and the scholarship agreement is completed.
- You can NOT switch doctors or split the funds between two doctors.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Families must meet the following criteria:
- Be a TACA member (sign up on the web, it’s FREE!)
- Have a child diagnosed with ASD or PDD-NOS
- Have a combined annual household income equal to or less than 300% of the Federal Poverty Level (Applicants with higher household incomes will be considered, but priority will be given to those equal to or less than 300% of the Federal Poverty Level.)
Attend at least one TACA in-person OR Virtual event (this includes Virtual Support, Family Panels, or the TACA Take Action Conference Series) OR the in-person TACA National Autism Conference
- Belong to the TACA Hope and Help For Autism Facebook Group, OR Have requested a TACA Parent Mentor.