December 1, 2023
December 1, 2023
Thanks to the fundraising efforts of the TACA San Diego Chapter, families can apply for a scholarship to see a functional medical doctor of their choice for a maximum of $1,000.
The TACA Family Scholarship Fund was developed to help families who are pursuing treatment for their children with autism but are struggling to find the funding. We understand how difficult it is to stretch the family budget. It is our desire to provide limited financial assistance to eligible families.
Our 2023 TACA San Diego Medical Scholarship will provide financial assistance to eligible families. The scholarship awards $1,000 to aid in the out-of-pocket expenses for a medical professional that specializes in the treatment of autism and associated medical comorbidities. This includes medical doctors with Medical Academy of Pediatric Special Needs (MAPS), Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM), and Lyme Literate Medical Doctors (LLMD) certification as well as naturopathic doctors.
Funding will be given out until all funds are expended or until December 1, 2023, whichever comes first. Applications will be reviewed, and applicants will be notified of the outcome within 15 to 20 business days.
Select the physician you would like to work with before you apply. (You must provide the contact information for the doctor you select in your application form)
- Confirm the doctor is taking new patients (unless you are applying for the scholarship to continue treatment with your current doctor.)
- If you want to do virtual appointments, you must determine with the doctor if telehealth is an option for your family.
- If you are not sure of your choice of doctor PLEASE DO NOT APPLY. Please connect with a TACA Parent Mentor and/or your local TACA Chapter, or TACA’s online community in Hope and Help to research options and determine what doctor matches your child’s needs best.
If the scholarship is awarded:
- ONE check will be sent to the doctor to use for treatment. Any lab work, supplements, new patient charges for registration, membership or concierge fee, travel or accommodation costs are NOT covered by the scholarship. In certain cases, some doctor’s offices can bill for supplements and/or lab work through their office. If that is the case, then the funds can be used towards these costs. Separate checks to labs or supplement providers is NOT possible.
- The scholarship can NOT go towards an appointment or service that happened prior to the scholarship award. Scholarship funds are only for appointments that occur AFTER the scholarship is awarded and the scholarship agreement is completed.
- You can NOT switch doctors or split the funds between two doctors.
If you have questions, please email email@example.com
Families must meet the following criteria to be eligible to receive assistance from the TACA Family Scholarship Fund:
- Be a TACA member (sign up on the web, it’s FREE!)
- Have a child diagnosed with ASD or PDD-NOS
- Have a combined annual household income equal to or less than 300% of the Federal Poverty Level (Applicants with higher household incomes will be considered, but priority will be given to those equal to or less than 300% of the Federal Poverty Level.)
- Attend at least one TACA in person OR Virtual event (this includes Virtual Support, Family Panels, or the TACA Take Action Conference Series) OR the in person TACA National Autism Conference
- Belong to the TACA Hope and Help For Autism Facebook Group, OR Have requested a TACA Parent Mentor.