TACA Hawaii & Hawaii Autism Foundation Family Scholarship Program
January 27, 2011
The Application Deadline for 2015 is March 1st
Hawaii Autism Foundation and TACA have joined together to create a scholarship fund for families living in Hawaii. These scholarships, made possible through the generosity of the Hawaii Autism Foundation, will allow families to begin much needed biomedical treatment or to continue with the prescribed treatment of a MAPS (Medical Academy of Pediatric Special Needs) doctor. We are proud to provide these scholarships and look forward to helping families living in Hawaii in their pursuit of biomedical treatment.
To help families who are pursuing treatment for their children with autism, but are struggling to find the funding. This program provides limited financial assistance to qualified families who reside in Hawaii.
Families must meet the eligibility criteria below to receive assistance from the Hawaii Autism Foundation and TACA Hawaii Family Scholarship Program.
MAPS Doctor Scholarship Criteria
- Be a TACA member (sign up online, it’s FREE!)
- Live in Hawaii
- Be working with a Parent Mentor for at least 2 months – Parent Mentors are available in person, on the phone or via email.
- Number of volunteer hours served in the year prior, including the organization you volunteered for and the organization’s contact information.
- Have a combined annual household income of less than $85,000. (Applicants with higher household incomes will be considered, but priority will be given to those below $85,000)
What does the scholarship pay for?
TACA will provide financial assistance to eligible families of up to $1500 for treatment with a MAPS doctor.
If a family wishes to work with two different MAPS doctors it must be specified at the time of application and the scholarship fund will be divided 50/50 with half going to one specified MAPS doctor and the other half going to the other. This must be decided prior to application and cannot be changed once the scholarship is awarded.
The scholarship will not be paid out to individual vendors for supplements or lab work. If the doctor chosen can provide those services or products, the scholarship funds can be used by the doctor to cover those type of expenses for a scholarship family. Separate payment to labs or vendors will not be offered this year.
NOTE: Payments, once authorized, are NOT made directly to the family, but are instead paid on the family’s behalf directly to the doctor.
The Application Deadline for 2015 is March 1. Scholarships will be awarded within 2 weeks of the application deadline.
Applications will ONLY be accepted through the online application form. We will NOT accept any via fax and incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Hawaii Autism Foundation and TACA Hawaii Family Scholarship Program is not intended to fund on-going services, scholarship funds are restricted. Once an application is approved, TACA will fund only one request per family per year through the Hawaii Family Scholarship Program to be used throughout the year as needed for that family.
Assistance will be based on the needs of the family and the fund availability. Applicants who have not received funds from TACA/HAF previously will be given highest priority. However, TACA/HAF reserves the right to provide assistance more than once to the same family. The amount of assistance will vary, depending on availability of funds. Please do not call to check on the status of your application. You will be notified as soon as possible about our decision. Only formal online applications will be accepted. Applications will not be accepted via fax. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Funding of approved applicant will be delivered within seven days of the decision date.
When applying for a Hawaii Autism Foundation and TACA Hawaii Family Scholarship, you most provide:
- Completed online application.
- Date you joined TACA (or the email address you used to join online so we can confirm membership).
- Total cost breakdown for funding request. Please note how much would be used for appointments, labs and supplementsadditional information may be required.
- Number of volunteer hours completed in previous year
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS MAY BE REQUESTED DURING THE REVIEW PROCESS BUT DO NOT NEED TO BE INCLUDED IN THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
- Previous year’s tax return (both tax returns if you are married filing separately as well.)
- Current year’s pay stub showing year-to-date income for all house hold income workers.
- Copy of a utility bill to prove Hawaii residency
- A letter from your doctor or other proof indicating your child’s diagnosis.
- Depending on the nature of your request, additional information may be required.
Please note that, in order to comply with state and federal law, TACA reserves the right to follow up with the family to ensure the assistance was successfully used for its intended purpose.
Not every family who applies for the Hawaii Autism Foundation and TACA Hawaii Family Scholarship will receive funding. TACA’s program manager presents the applications to the Scholarship Application Review Committee volunteers who award the scholarships. This selection process depends upon the number of applications received in a given time frame, the applicant’s unique circumstances, and the amount the Hawaii Autism Foundation and TACA Hawaii Family Scholarship Program have available to make the best decision possible.