New School Year Checklist
Get your child with autism ready for an exceptional start to the new year! Download our FREE “About Me” student information form and use this guide as a new school year "checklist" with tips and ideas to set your child up for school success!
Review Your Child’s IEP
- Is the IEP still appropriate? Does it need to be updated?
- Check your IEP date and mark it on your calendar.
- Schedule any meetings needed in the first month of school.
Contact Your Child’s Teacher(s)
- Update the teacher with any new information from the summer.
- Confirm that ALL of your child’s teachers know your child has an IEP and how to follow it.
- Set up a time to visit the school before the first day back.
- Ask the teacher(s) to send you pictures of themselves and their classroom(s).
- Create a “back to school” book or other visual support for your child.
- Save the teacher’s contact information in your phone and/or email.
Tell Teachers and Staff About Your Child
- Create a student profile handout for teachers, therapists, and other school staff.
- Use TACA’s “All About Me” template!
Get Your Child Ready
- Transition bedtime and morning wake-up times to align with your school schedule.
- Introduce school lunch items back into your meal rotation.
- Use visual supports like a countdown calendar or “back to school” book to prepare your child for transitioning back to school.
- Practice wearing non-preferred clothing items needed for school.
- Special Education: IEP Tips
- Smart IEP Goals
- The Fundamentals of Special Education: What Parents Need to Know
- OAR's Autism Fact Sheet for Educators (PDF Download)
*All content in this article is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for legal advice. When it comes to matters of the law and policy – please consult an attorney or advocate on your child’s behalf.