Black Bean Chipotle Chili
All contents of this resource were created for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, dietitian, therapist, or other qualified health providers with any questions or concerns you may have.
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 large red or green bell pepper, seeded & chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups black beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 1 x 8 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 x 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 or 2 canned chipotle chiles, seeded & minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a large saucepan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for about 7 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients and cook covered for 4 hours over medium-low heat, or until beans are soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh chopped cilantro.