Lisa’s Chicken And Sausage Gumbo
All contents of this resource were created for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, dietitian, therapist, or other qualified health providers with any questions or concerns you may have.
- 3 lbs organic boneless chicken breast
- Corn flour for dredging
- 2 tsp. Onion powder
- Salt, as needed
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 8 oz safflower oil
- 2 oz corn flour
- 6 oz diced onion
- 3 oz diced organic celery
- 6 oz diced organic green pepper
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 5 oz chopped okra (I cheat and use frozen)
- 3-4 quarts organic chicken stock (3 for thick, 4 for thinner – your choice)
- 1 1/2 tsp minced jalapeno (you can go more if your kids can tolerate it)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 oz organic tomato paste
- 1 pkg Andouille sausage (several organic, GFCF, nitrate free exist – look for them!)
- Prepare servings of basmati rice (preferably organic)
Start with a large pot on the store then dredge chicken in corn flour that is seasoned in onion powder, salt & cayenne pepper. Cook chicken until golden brown and set aside. Pan fry in oil, reserving 4 oz of the gook & oil. Add in the additional flour and oil into the pan and cook to make a dark brown roux. Add in the onions, celery, green pepper and garlic; sauté briefly. Add in the okra. Add in the chicken stock, stir in jalapenos, thyme, oregano and tomato paste. Simmer for 30 minutes. Slice the sausage and sauté until done in a separate pan. Add the chicken and sausage to the gumbo. Add more seasoning to taste if you need it. Simmer 30 minutes.
Serve ladled over bowls of rice with decent GFCF bread like Udi’s!