Corn, Basil and Tomato Salad
I have made this dish 2 ways - with a mayonnaise sauce and with a lighter vinaigrette. The vinaigrette is best for pot lucks or picnics because it doesn't need refrigeration.
- 4 ears of fresh corn cobs, cooked till still firm, kernals removed
- 1 medium tomato, chopped or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup Hellman's GFCFSF Canola mayonnaise (or make your own)*
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, chopped fine
Mix all ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate.
*An alternative to the mayonnaise, use 1/8 cup rice wine vinegar and 1/8 cup safflower or grapeseed oil (or any other lightly flavored oil), whisked together.
- 1 egg or egg substitute to equal 1 egg
- 1 scant teaspoon prepared mustard
- cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Canola oil
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Put the egg or egg substitute, mustard, cayenne pepper (if using), and salt in a blender; blend at high speed for about 20 seconds. Gradually add the oil through the top of the blender, while blending, in droplets at first, blending until all the oil has been blended with the egg and mayonnaise is thick and creamy. Blend in lemon juice just until mixed. Refrigerate.