Giant Apple Crisp
- 12-14 firm apples, sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Grated, chopped zest from one small orange
- Grated, chopped zest from one small lemon
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1/3 cup sifted GFCFSF flour
- 4 cups uncooked Bob's Red Mill GF oats
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
- 1-1/3 cup GFCFSF margarine, melted (Earth's Balance Soy-Free)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, grated zests, cinnamon and lemon juice. Set aside. In another bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, nuts and cinnamon. Toss with melted margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbles. Using two 9 by 12-inch glass baking dishes, divide apples evenly. Top apples with oat mixture. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until apples are tender. Makes 2 crisps.
If you want to freeze one of the crisps for later use, or make small individual-serving crisps, prepare as usual but before baking, wrap tightly in several layers of plastic wrap and then foil. If you have a large enough Ziploc bag, you can put it in that after the plastic and foil too. When you want to use it, do not defrost it. Cook frozen on baking sheet at 375 for an hour or until browned. If the edge browns too fast, cover the edges with foil.