All contents of this resource were created for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, dietitian, therapist, or other qualified health providers with any questions or concerns you may have.
- 4 cups nut flour (I used a blend of 2 cups almond and 2 cups walnuts, you can play around with what blend you like. Many use straight almond flour for the entire mix.)
- 1/3 cup margarine (I use coconut oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- cinnamon may be good to add – I haven’t tried it yet but plan to with my next batch.
Mix all ingredients well. flatten on (2) greased 9 x 13″ pans. Bake at 300 until golden brown.
- 1 lb. pitted dates
- 1/3 cup water
Put dates and water in a covered oven-safe pan and bake in the oven until soft. This takes about 15″ minutes in a 350 oven. Stir occasionally while in oven. Heat in oven until thick. Cool. Spread date on top of one of the pans. Then I take a spatula and break of a spatula size square from the other pan and place on top. Then I break those squares in half and it is the size of a small granola bar. This makes a nice soft textured bar. These can also be made into cookies by just rolling the crust into balls and flatten into cookie shapes with the back of a butter teaspoon. Cooking, then cooling then spreading the cooled date filling and covering with another cookie. I make my nut flour by just buying the nuts and then throwing them in the food processor. We are trying to avoid all grains so it is a good alternative.
Some variations I am experimenting with are:
Strawberry – Rhubarb Filling
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 3/4 cup honey (or 1 cup sugar)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped ginger, vanilla bean or seed
In sauce pan over medium heat, place fruit and sugar. Cook until tender 8-10 minutes. Add vanilla seeds or ginger (Can also serve on waffles. I take a cookie from the above recipe and make a pie and use the cookie as the crust for him)