Pavlova With Lemon Curd and Berries
All contents of this resource were created for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, dietitian, therapist, or other qualified health providers with any questions or concerns you may have.
- 4 cups mixed berries
- 1 cup superfine granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
For Lemon Curd:
- 3 large eggs (or 6 yolks for a richer custard)
- 1/4 -1/3 cup of honey
- Grated zest of one lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the first three ingredients until light colored.
- Add the coconut oil, breaking it into small clumps as you drop it into the pot for even melting. Then add the lemon juice.
- Cook, whisking over medium heat until the coconut oil is melted. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens and you start to see a few bubbles popping at the surface.
- Remove from heat, and scrape into a fine sieve set over a bowl. Strain the curd, gently stirring if needed.
- Refrigerate for several hours to thicken. Will keep about one week in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 300Â°F with rack in middle. Trace an approximately 7-inch circle on a sheet of parchment paper. Turn parchment over and put on a baking sheet.
Whisk together superfine sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl.
Beat whites with a pinch of salt using an electric mixer at medium speed until they hold soft peaks. Add water (whites will loosen) and beat until whites again hold soft peaks.
Increase speed to medium-high and beat in sugar mixture 1 tablespoon at a time. After all sugar has been added, beat 1 minute more.
Add vinegar and beat at high speed until meringue is glossy and holds stiff peaks, about 5 minutes (longer if using hand-held mixer).
Gently spread meringue inside circle on parchment, making edge of meringue slightly higher than center (the “crater” is for curd and fruit). Bake until meringue is pale golden and has a crust, about 45 minutes (inside will still be marshmallow-like).
Turn oven off and prop door open slightly with a wooden spoon. Cool meringue in oven 1 hour.
Spoon lemon curd into meringue and mound berries on top.