Prunes in Orange Sauce
All contents of this resource were created for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, dietitian, therapist, or other qualified health providers with any questions or concerns you may have.
This is a great breakfast dish served alone or over oatmeal or polenta. It also makes a great dessert!
- 1 cup orange juice, preferably fresh squeezed
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated or minced lemon zest
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 24 pitted prunes
- Combine orange and lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, and cinnamon in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a simmer on high heat and add prunes.
- Turn the heat as low as possible and cover. Simmer gently for only about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them so prunes don’t get soggy. Add chopped walnuts and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Remove prunes with a slotted spoon and turn the heat to medium-high; reduce the liquid to about half. Pour the syrup over the prunes and chill or serve warm.