Scrumptious Eggs Benedict
- Hash brown patty (or use potato-zucchini latke) [see recipe below]
- Slice of nitrate-free ham or Canadian bacon
- Poached egg
- GFCFSF Hollandaise sauce (or GFCFSF Country gravy) [see recipe below]
Hash Brown Patties
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying (safflower preferred)
Rinse potatoes, pat dry. In a bowl combine potatoes, cornstarch and salt and pepper. In fry pan over medium heat, warm up oil. Working in batches, take 1/2 cup of mixture and form into patty, place in pan. Cook until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined sheet and place in oven at 200 degrees to keep warm. The use of corn starch in this recipe keeps the patties together.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon water or MimicCreme or Cashew Cream
- 1 cup melted GFCFSF margarine (Earth Balance Soy-Free), heated until bubbling but not brown!
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar
Place egg yolks, salt, pepper and water/MimicCreme in blender, blend for a few seconds at high speed until you have a smooth frothy mixture. Still at high speed, start adding hot margarine in a thin, steady stream, not too slowly. As you add margarine, the sauce should thicken. When half the margarine has been added, add lemon juice or vinegar. Continue blending until all butter is used.
Assemble stack with hash brown on bottom, top with ham, then egg, top with sauce. Devour.