Children with autism almost always have medical conditions that cause or aggravate the symptoms of autism. Treating those conditions makes the child’s health improve. When a child is in less pain he can learn better, have less aggression, communicate, and learn coping skills among many other improvements. Some children even recover from autism through the use of medical treatments used alongside traditional therapies. Recent studies demonstrate that children with autism can have many other health issues in addition to the autism diagnosis.
TACA is extremely grateful for the hundreds of volunteers that lend their time and energy to our efforts, whether at an event, in our office, serving on one of our committees, or helping in any number of other ways. Descriptions of TACA’s volunteer opportunities are listed below. We encourage you to take a moment to read through them to determine which of your strengths would best fit the opportunities we offer.
Please contact the TACA Volunteer Coordinator for more information and current volunteer opportunities available or call (949) 640-4401.
If you are more of a behind-the-scenes person we need your help! Whether it’s updating our database, helping with reports, or identifying new possibilities for funding, we have a great need for help in these areas. If you have administrative and office talents to offer, we have a need for you!
Requirements: Basic knowledge of Microsoft office and utilization of office equipment.
Many times we have large mailings or event preparations that take place in our office. General Support volunteers make themselves available on an as-needed project-by-project basis. Perfect for those who cannot commit to long term projects but have some flexibility in their schedules.
Events and Fundraising Committee
This committee is composed of volunteers with related professional experience in the area of event planning, fundraising, public relations, and marketing. The committee supports the administration in the coordination and organization of our major fundraising events. The committee also helps to develop other fundraising ideas and implement strategies.
Special Events Volunteers
Numerous special events are held throughout the year to raise funds to benefit TACA’s services. Though many of these events are supported by an event committee, often the volunteer need greatly surpasses the number of members on the committee planning the event. In such instances, special events volunteers serve on an “event-by-event” basis. Volunteers can serve in leadership and support roles supporting events ranging from auctions and golf tournaments, to walks, and runs.
Autism Youth Ambassadors (AYA)
TACA is proud to collaborate with youths in the community wishing to volunteer their time in support of our Mission.
Autism Youth Ambassadors (AYA) work with TACA’s National Office to plan and implement strategies that will educate their peers about the rising incidence of autism and inspire others to join their efforts on behalf of TACA on their respective campuses (elementary, middle school, high school, college, etc.). They also plan community fundraising efforts with the our guidance and volunteer their time at TACA events such as our annual Family Picnic each summer.
View Autism Youth Ambassador presentation here (PDF): Click here to view a PDF of the presentation.
View TACA National Office AYA Open House presentation here (PDF): Click here the view a PDF of the presentation.
Here is a list of current participating schools:
- Troy High School, Fullerton, California
- Alhambra High School, Alhambra, California
- Aliso Niguel High School, Aliso Viejo, California
- Ayala High School, Chino Hills, California
- Bismarck High, Bismarck, North Dakota
- Canyon High School, Anaheim, California
- Chennai International School (International), Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
- Chino Hills High School, Chino Hills, California
- Ciputra Suribaya Secondary School (International), Suribaya, Indonesia
- Diamond Bar High School, Diamond Bar, California
- Esperanza High School, Anaheim, California
- Foothill High School, Santa Ana, California
- I.P.H. Suribaya Secondary School (International), Suribaya, Indonesia
- Los Alamitos High School, Los Alamitos, California
- Madurai Secondary School (International), Madurai, Tamilnadu, India
- Mater Dei High School, Santa Ana, California
- Mounds View High School, Arden Hills, Minnesota
- Newport Harbor High School, Newport, California
- Northwood High School, Irvine, California
- Rowland High School, Rowland Heights, California
- San Clemente High School, San Clemente, California
- Sunny Hills High School, Fullerton, California
- Trabuco Hills High School, Mission Viejo, California
- University High, Irvine, California
- Valencia High School, Placentia, California
- Walnut High School, Walnut, California
- Wuhu First High (International), Wuhu, China