Pre- and Post-Flu Vaccination Care and Flu Prevention Tips
Flu season is upon us and with the new Swine flu strain, it seems flu is everywhere. We aim to offer you helpful tips to consider to keep your family safe and healthy this flu season, and all year long.
Pre and Post Vaccination Tips
Renowned pediatrician Dr. Bob Sears advises against re-vaccinating any child on the autism spectrum. He makes suggestions in his two books: The Vaccine Book www.thevaccinebook.com and The Autism Book. Please review your concerns and treatment path with your physician.
Doctors recommend that if you are planning on getting a flu vaccine, to follow a “flu-prevention” protocol up until the day of the vaccine. Then 12 hours after the vaccine, start the high dose vitamin A protocol and high-dose Elderberry. Also, give Oscillococcinum if flu symptoms were to arise in the days to follow. (you can print out a coupon at their website!)
Flu vaccines are available in mercury-free formulations. If you choose to give your child a flu vaccine, make sure it’s thimerosal- (mercury) free. We have been hearing from parents that they are having a hard time finding thimerosal-free vaccines and they are being told “take it any way you can get it." We don’t agree. Mercury is a known neurotoxin and should be avoided at all costs. If you are determined to get a vaccine, you should wait for the thimerosal-free version.
Doctors recommend that anyone who has had a vaccine reaction, recent or in the past, try the two days of high dose Vitamin A protocol: for small kids, use 100,000IU twice a day for 2 days, or for large kids and adults to do 200,000 IU twice a day for 2 days.
Also, consider using Thuja 30C, 3 doses, 12 hours apart.
If your child does get a thimerosal-containing vaccine, then formal chelation with DMSA or DMPS should be considered.
Flu Prevention Protocols
The CDC advises that influenza spreads mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people. It recommends the following everyday actions to stay healthy:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If you do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your sleeve.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth because germs spread that way.
- Stay home if you get sick. CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
- Follow public health advice regarding school closures, avoiding crowds and other social distancing measures (keeping a minimum of six feet between people, whenever practical.)
Avoiding contact with people who have had the nasal spray of the vaccine for 11-21 days post-vaccination will reduce your exposure as well because the nasal spray (not the shot) causes viral shedding. See section 14.5 of the FDA’s package insert.
There are many flu prevention supplementation protocols. Most contain the following:
- Oscillococcinum - 1 weekly during flu season
- Elderberry Syrup Sambucol brand or Make your own.
- Astragalus - 250 mg in am, 3X a week in flu season - if no fever
- Echinacea/Goldenseal - 250/175 mg 2X a week
- Vitamin D3 - 2000IU/day for small kids, 5000IU/day for older kids and adults
- Vitamin C - 500-1000 mg/day
- Zinc - 50 mg/day
- Virastop2 from Enzymedica
- Flu Prevention tips from Dr. Mercola
- Immune Booster tips from Dr. Sears
- Immune Support Protocol from Pure Compounding Pharmacy
Flu Treatment Protocols
If your child has symptoms of the flu, there are many things you do to help. Cool baths, Motrin, Vitamins D3 and C, Zinc, Elderberry, oscillococcinum, colostrum, probiotics and a low-sugar diet (sugar suppresses the immune system) are general things that help. Below are more specific protocols to consider.
Flu Treatment Protocol:
- Sambucus from Quantum Health, it has Sambucus Nigra, Vitamin C, Echinacea, and Mullein, which is great for lungs.
- Vitamin D3 - 10,000IU for 3 days
- Motrin (NOT Tylenol)
- Curcumin (250 mg 2X a day)
- Olive Leaf Extract (150 mg, 3X a day)
- Gargle with salt water
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! Water and Unflavored Pedialyte are good choices.